Penguin Book Covers
Brief: Design a book cover (including spine and back) for two books- I have chosen to do 'Life Isn't All Hee Hee HaHa' by Meera Syal and 'Talking Turkeys' a book of poetry for children by Benjamin Zephaniah.
Above are a selection of book covers that I think are very inspiring and beautiful see more on my Pinterest board.
'Life Isn't all Ha Ha Hee Hee'
From what I can gather this book is about the friendship between three women coming from traditional Asian backgrounds and living in the UK.
Each woman has various issues/problems including marriage, children and family life and career.
Themes included in this book- family, friendships, hope/hopelessness, community, being torn between family life and careers, unhappiness.
Starting to look at patterns/ colours that will reflect an Asian aesthetic and make the viewer understand the traditional Asian element.
See more, please look at my Pinterest:
Hoping to use a warm colour palette of orange, red and brown with a contrast of dark blue. I'd love to incorporate cranes (bird not big tall building thing) but I'm not sure if it would contribute to what the book cover needs to communicate.
Looking at faces and styles to reflect traditional Asian women.
A book of poetry for children by Benjamin Zephania. Fun, lively for kids.
I really like the simplified form and stylising on these examples and wanted to go down this route.
Back to 'Life Isn't all hee hee haha' Having decided on which design to persue I did a series of more detailed thumbnails, focussing first on composition and then colour.
Preliminary final image dependant on feedback:
Talking Turkeys: Final art work to be used, editing and adding text.
Final Image dependant on feed back. I'm concerned that the writing isn't so good- not so sure about the font or if it's legible and clear enough so will act on feedback if I can.
Trying out placement of the title. I didn't like this one so much as it felt too unbalanced so went with the one below.
After feedback it was confirmed that the font wasn't so good and not legible enough, also that the placement of some elements could be better.
This is the image altered based on the feedback and potentially the final image to be used.
Similar feedback on this one. I have changed the font to something that feels lighter, more feminine and warm, maybe chatty. I added and adapted a few elements. I really enjoyed using procreate to make a final piece I have to admit. I love being able create and delete layers and try things out without making them permenant. Also being able to replicate a layer and move it is very handy. I've learnt alot of procreate techniques in this project.